Howell, MI Topsoil
Raether Topsoil LLC
Raether Topsoil is a family owned business since 1973 in Howell, MI that sells topsoil, black dirt, peat moss, sand and gravel. You can choose to buy in retail or wholesale. Product is available for pickup or delivery. We guarantee quality service at affordable prices.
Located between Howell and Brighton, we deliver to all of Livingston County.
Products for sale at Raether Topsoil:
- Planting mix or Black dirt (2/3 peat, 1/3 topsoil)
- Peat moss
- Other products based on availability (such as compost, manure, crushed asphalt, etc.)
FACTS AND USES
- Heavier soil, with some sand mixed in to help with drainage
- Good for planting grass in the spring or fall, or to plant trees or large shrubs/bushes
- Used to build up ground around house foundations
- Very nutritious soil that can be described as light, fluffy, spongy or sticky
- Used to add nutrients to gardens, but because of it’s light texture, peat is best when tilled into another soil.
- We highly recommend our planting mix over straight peat.
- Sometimes called “black dirt” because it is darker than topsoil
- 2/3 peat, 1/3 topsoil screened together onsite, by us, with a 1/2 in. screen
- The mix is a heavier soil than straight peat, which prevents it from blowing away. The topsoil mixed-in makes the soil more manageable
- Good for use in flower beds and vegetable gardens
- NOT RECOMMENDED for growing grass. The soil is too light and if not covered with enough straw the seed may become burned by the sun
- Used to fill in holes or to make a base
- If planting grass over an area you may want to use a top layer of topsoil
- May have small rocks or sticks in it
BUILDING A POOL:
- Mason sand or 2NS sand is recommended for the base of a pool, as they are finer and do not have rocks or sticks in them
- Mason sand is finer and more expensive than 2NS, but both will work
- Recommended: 21AA crushed rock, 6A limestone or 23A limestone
- Granite is multicolored and limestone is white/gray 6A is cleaner with little to no fines 23A has a lot of fines with some gravel mixed in
- ***Fines help the stone lock in together better, making a less “gravelly” driveway
HOW TO CALCULATE HOW MUCH YOU NEED
- 1 yard of product will cover a 10x10 foot area (100 square feet), 3 inches deep
- Length X Width/100 = how many yards needed (will cover and area 3 inches deep)
For prices, estimates or to schedule a delivery, contact Raether Topsoil, LLC today at 517-546-4498. You can also call 517-546-4504.
Click on the link on the right hand side of the page, below the map, to download a price sheet. (Prices subject to change)